Saturday, August 25, 2012

Marinara Sauce (from Kathy)

Use about 20 tomatoes
In a food processor (or I grate them), I process the tomatoes. Then I cook them down until they get quite thick. It can take 4-6 hours depending on how many I have. I add salt, pepper and Italian seasoning to taste.

In a large frying pan, I saute, in olive oil, two large onions that have been chopped into pieces.  When they are about half way cooked, I add a lot of sliced mushrooms that have been sliced. When the onions and mushrooms are just about cooked, I add some grated garlic, salt, and Pepper to taste. Saute together for a minute of two and remove from heat.

In the bottom of a large pot, I brown 2 pounds of hamburger, or 1 pound of hamburger and one pound of pork or veal. Season with seasoning salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning to taste. When the meat is browned. Add the tomatoes and the onion mixture and heat through together.

To this I add one, two or all, depending on my mood and how things are tasting to me: large container of any kind of Prego Spaghetti sauce, 2-15oz cans of Italian stewed tomatoes, Parmesan cheese, 1-2 tablespoons of granulated sugar, water.

Sometimes I leave out the meat and add fresh cooked or steamed veggies. I don't cook them in the spaghetti sauce because it makes the sauce too watery.

No comments: