Friday, February 15, 2013

Chinese Chicken and Noodle Soup

After watching Kung Fu Panda together one night, Breno and I were both craving a Chinese noodle soup, like the one Po's "dad" makes. I looked up some recipes on the internet but they kept calling for ingredients I didn't have. I decided to make a soup based off the egg drop soup recipe I had and it was easy and turned out great. I usually double this recipe.

Ingredients:

4 cups chicken stock (or 2 cups chicken broth and 2 cups water)
2 large slices fresh ginger
2 large cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
1 Tbs cornstarch (I add a little more to increase thickness)
3 Tbs water
Fresh vegetables, chopped (carrots, mushrooms, celery)
Oriental style noodles (I got mine from a Chinese store)
Chicken, cooked and shredded (I use my crock pot chicken for this)
1 tsp salt (if using stock, do not add if using broth)
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
2 scallions, diagonally sliced (i.e. spring/green onion)(opt.)

Combine stock/broth-water, ginger and garlic in a large saucepan and simmer, partially covered, for 15 minutes. Discard the ginger and garlic. In a small bowl stir together cornstarch and water. Bring soup to low simmer and add cornstarch mixture. Stir until the soup is slightly thickened. Add vegetables and noodles and boil 5 minutes, or until done (the noodles I have only need to be cooked 5 minutes). Add chicken and allow to warm in soup. Add salt and pepper to taste. Top with scallions.

No comments: