Saturday, June 2, 2012

Ensalada Rusa (Russian Salad or beet salad)

Ingredients:
  • 2 small beets or 1 big beet, cooked, peeled and diced
  • 3 medium potatoes, cooked, peeled and diced
  • 2 carrots , cooked, peeled and diced
  • 1/2 lb of corn
  • 1 lb of broccoli or less
  • 2 stalks of celery finely chop
  • 1 chicken breast, cooked and diced - optional
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Dash of cumin
  • Juice of 1 lime or lemon
  • 1/3 cup Mayonnaise
  • Parsley to garnish - optional
Preparation:

I usually cook the beets, potatoes and carrots together in a small amount of water (maybe 1 inch from bottom to top). The carrots will cook first, then the potatoes and last the beets. In another pot I cook the chicken, and when the chicken is semi cooked I will add the corn and broccoli. In a big bowl mix all ingredients, I sometimes do not feel like eating chicken and the salad still tastes great. I most of the time put mayonnaise in my salad because I like mayonnaise a lot but if you don't want to use mayonnaise you could replace it by using the juice of two lemons or limes instead of one. I accompany this salad with white plain rice. Makes about 5 servings.

No comments: